Coming Soon

We are Open for YOUR Business!

We are excited that you want to start a business in Hancock!  Where do you start?  We’ve put together a handy list to help you navigate the rules and regulations.

Tax Requirements

To obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number for a business, visit the Federal Government website.

The next step—the state tax registration process—can begin by visiting the Comptroller of Maryland’s website. Once the business is registered with the State of Maryland taxation department, it is also entered into the tax systems of local jurisdictions; therefore, no additional paperwork is required during this step.

State Requirements for Business Structure

If the business structure is a Corporation, Limited Liability Company, Limited Partnership or Limited Liability Partnership, visit the Maryland Department of Assessments & Taxation to register the business entity and obtain business personal property tax information. Sole Proprietorships or General Partners comply with local licensing and taxation but require a different registration form found here.

Licensing and Permitting

To determine licensing and permitting requirements, visit Maryland’s Business License Information System (BLIS), which will give you all the information necessary to open a business in Maryland. The website is organized to find licensing information by keyword search, industry category, or by county.

Local Requirements for Business Licensing

Most business licenses may be obtained from the Washington County Clerk of the Circuit Court. Contact the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office at (301) 790-7991 for more details.

Zoning Certification

For property located outside the limits of the Town of Hancock, contact the Washington County Permitting Department, at 240-313-2460.

For property located inside the limits of the Town of Hancock, contact Town Hall at 301-678-5622, or email at [email protected].  A zoning certificate is required for every business located in the town’s corporate limits.  This document certifies that your business complies with all zoning regulations and is required to obtain a building permit from Washington County.  The Town Manager may require a site plan and/or additional documentation to issue a zoning certificate.

Building Permits

The Town of Hancock does not issue building permits.  Please contact the Washington County Permitting Department, at 240-313-2460.